Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Looking back, looking forward.

 Good Morning everyone,

This is not brand new work, but this is the first time I've written about it at length. I hope you will enjoy this work and the story behind it.

 This flurry of work was the result of a life altering event. In January, 2015, I suffered a severe asthma attack. It lasted weeks and left me weak and yet it prompted me to do something with the faulty printmaking prints that of course I could never seem to through away. Printmaking has its surprises, some lead to delightful discoveries or variations on a technique. When an edition is complete, and all the prints are signed and numbered, there are many prints left behind, that for some reason or other, did not make it to the scrutiny that the edition required; trial and errors, color proofs, pressure adjustments, the variations in papers, printing a block in the wrong direction -- the challenges are countless. Also, because of environmental and economic concerns, I felt that throwing away already, beautifully colored pieces of paper was such a waste. My father, who grew up during the American depression, saw value in unsuspected items. This, I observed with interest.


 It was such interesting work, sometimes I would play with the idea of the 'horizon line', compositions, working with the imagery that mirrored or blended, or enhanced the 'scene'. The variety of material was wondrous. It was cathartic to cut away the faulty bits, and create new imagery, vital, fresh, and fascinating to see the surprising ways the works came together. I would make three or four at a time, sometimes the pieces would float around from piece to piece, settling into a fine place all its own. Color themes, seasonal earthiness, the state of trees, mark matching, negative spaces were also utilized to make borders, archways, or surround and enhance a unique feature.

Urbanization has been quite the pressure cooker in our area. Clusters of mushrooming houses pop up in what was a filbert orchard, a raspberry field, a tree farm. Acknowledging the thoughtlessness is a very tender subject for an earth advocate. I am not against progress, but there is just too much dam paving! Houses without tree space, unthinkable! Though they may not show well in the photos, I took a few pages from a 1930's (fairly damaged) dictionary which had towns and their population, painted them with an iridescent pearl paint, and added these for an illumination, and interest.


You might notice that there are also watercolor pieces as well, and some hand made papers too.
There is such potential and beauty in the landscape. Why subdue it, why not enhance and celebrate?


I am so very grateful I had an opportunity to make these -- there are many more. I will post them in another time. These horizontally formatted works are all 15"x 22", on a 250gm cotton paper.

Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment