Friday, February 19, 2010

Background, middleground, foreground.

The choice and planning  of background color and form was more challenging than I thought.  Because the middle ground, or the purse itself is a light value, I wanted the background, a warm brown, to have a gradation.  So, after some thumbnail sketches and concentrated thought, it turns out that it will be a reductive form of woodblock printing.  I traced the image of the pocket book onto the back of the block and will be carving away the 'pocket book' shape, leaving the background to be printed in two stages.  First the background color, then the shadow color. 

The photo shows the original sketch, the now carved block with the background also carved away.  I decided to leave a frame around the outside.  The next photo is a rubbing.  I used a flat graphite crayon and a thin white paper to make this image.  The print will be a mirror image, but this gives me an idea of how the carving looks.  The details are stronger in the print than the sketches, and I really like how that looks.  The abstraction is also interesting as the tracings and transfers are acceptably unpredictable.

This winter we have had the company of Canadian geese, their loud calls and swarming flight in the neighboring field were awe inspiring.  There were hundreds and they use that field as a stop over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment